Crispy fried squid always have very good flavor, crispy but not chewy. This is very popular dish from squid in Vietnam and can be used as perfect starter or snack for having with beer or alcohol. The preparation and cooking way also very simple and I think everyone can do it.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 500 g: Squid, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons: Rice vinegar
- 500 ml: Water
- 1/4 teaspoon: Ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon: Salt
- 2 tablespoons: Cooking oil, for deep frying
- Chili sauce
- 1: Egg, well beaten
- 100 g: Plain (all purpose) flour
- 50 g: Tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon: Cold water
- 1 tablespoon: Cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon: Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon: Ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon: Annatto seed oil
- 1 sprig: Lettuce
- ¼: Cucumber, sliced
- Score squid tubes with criss-cross cuts then cut into bite-sized pieces
- Bring vinegar and water to the boil.
- Blanch squid, then drain well.
- Marinate squid with pepper and salt.
- Combine batter ingredients.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Dip squid in batter then deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve with mayonnaise, chili sauce, lettuce and sliced cucumber.