This is very fresh and typical salad of Vietnamese cuisine. The green papaya had been used for many dishes but the best one must be the salad. The sense of green papaya is well known as the typical sense in the kitchen and turn to be symbol for Vietnamese cuisine. The salad has fresh taste of the green papaya, beautiful matching with the taste of chicken and peanut and balance in sweet and sour taste. You also can replace chicken by shrimp or pork depends on your taste.
Green Papaya Salad
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 350 g - Chicken breast fillets
- 1 - Large green papaya
- 20 g - Vietnamese mint
- 15 g - Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 - Red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons - fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon - Rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon - Lime juice
- 2 teaspoons - Sugar
- 2 tablespoons - Unsalted roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- Place the chicken in a frying pan with enough water to just cover it. Simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked. Remove from the liquid, cool completely, then slice finely.
- Peel the papaya, then grate the flesh into long shreds. Mix gently with the mint, coriander, chili, fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice and sugar.
- Arrange the papaya mixture on a serving plate and top with the chicken.
- Scatter with peanuts and serve immediately.