This is very authentic and popular dish in the North of Vietnam, especially for serving with rice in cold winter day. The ginger and caramel sauce are really get on well with the chicken and make the taste of this dish to be unique.
Chicken with Ginger
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 875g chicken thigh fillets (tenderloins)
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp caramelized sugar
- 2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- a few red chili peppers, chopped - optional
Cut the chicken thighs into two across the thigh if using large ones, leave whole if using small ones. Place the chicken thighs in a bowl with the ginger, garlic and fish sauce. Leave to marinate for about 1 hour. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok for frying pan or skillet over a medium heat. Add the chicken and its marinade. Stir fry for 10-12 minutes, until the chicken is nearly done. Add the caramelized sugar, black peppercorns, coriander and spring onions. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes, until the chicken is well coated with the pan juices. Serve hot, garnished with the chopped red chili peppers (if using).
Caramelized sugar: Put 2 tablespoons of sugar and 185ml of water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. When the sugar starts to color, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring continuously, until the syrup is dark brown. Remove from the heat and add another 185ml of water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir thoroughly and return to the heat. Simmer for a minute or two, then remove from the heat once again. Use as required.
Caramelized sugar gives this dish a very glossy finish. Make sure the caramel is golden brown in color, and not burnt.
For Vietnamese people, chicken is always one of the most delicacy meats in our meal. All the special occasion in the family or in the wedding party, food for worshiping to the ancestors, we must have chicken in the tray. Chicken with lemongrass is very popular in our restaurant and it seems to be very tasty food for traveler to try. And it also not very difficult to make it.
Chicken with Lemon Grass
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 450 g: boned and skinned chicken fillet, cut into bite sized slices or cubes
- 1 teaspoon: minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons: finely chopped lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon: sugar
- 1 teaspoon: chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons: fish sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons: vegetable oil
- 1: small onion, sliced
- 1-2: small red chilies, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Mix chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, lemon grass, sugar, chili sauce and 1 tablespoon fish sauce and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a wok of frying pan and stir fry onion slices for about 1 minute until opaque.
3. Add chicken pieces, stir to separate them, then add remaining fish sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes until color of chicken changes.
4. Add 55 ml water to marinade bowl to rinse out, then add to chicken.
5. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute.
6. Garnish with chopped chilies and serve.
This is very popular dish, especially for men when they having very good time with some alcohol or beer in the local restaurant. The ladies or children also like the dish as it do not have much plain meet and very tasty. The sauce and marinate of chicken with fish sauce is the most important know how for this delicious dish.
- 8-12: chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon: Sugar
- 1 tablespoon: fish sauce
- 250 ml: Vietnamese Hot Sauce
- 85 ml: chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon: clear honey
- lettuce leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- oil for deep frying
1. Trim off tip of each chicken wing (these are known as pinions), which can be used for making stock.
2. In a bowl, marinate chicken wings with salt, pepper, sugar and fish sauce for at least 30 minutes, longer if possible.
3. Heat oil in a wok or deep fat fryer to 160oC (325oF) and deep fry chicken wings for 2-3 minutes until golden; remove and drain.
4. Heat Vietnamese Hot Sauce with chicken stock or water in a saucepan and add chicken wings.
5. Bring to the boil and braise for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce is sticky.
6. Add honey and blend well.
7. Serve hot or cold on a bed of lettuce leaves.